Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Son Seeker


The other morning I snuggled into the corner of the couch and grabbed my One Year Bible.  It was early.  The house was quiet, and I had some catching up to do.  An unexpected trip and poor planning on my part found me on he next to the last day of the month with several days of reading to do to be back on track.  No worries.  I had a fresh cup of coffee, a clear head, clean glasses and a determined spirit to mark this off of my “to do” list for the day.

As I sat reading, I soon found myself in the glow of the rising sun.  The corner of the couch I had chosen is in the perfect position to get the full blast of morning sun.  In fact, if you are there at the right moment of the day, you will find yourself in the blinding glare of the morning sun.  The light is so intense you can feel it coming, creeping slowly up until it reaches the top panes and then, you have a choice,  you can move and avoid the glare or you can close your eyes for a few moments and soak it in.

That is what I did on that cold winter morning.  I chose to soak it in.  I closed my eyes, took a break from my Bible reading and let the sun warm my face and make the back of my eyelids glow.  It felt so good—physically and spiritually. I wanted to stay there in that light.  I wanted to sit with the Word in my hand and just bask in the sun.  I wanted it to last for hours, not just minutes.

But just like the sun faithfully does every day, it moved on up in the sky (or at least that is my perception of what happens) and the place where I sat became chilled and dim. I sat there for a few moments longer with my head back and my eyes closed wishing I could have made it last just a little longer.

Despite my wishing, I could not make the sun stay where I was.  If I wanted to remain in its forceful, powerful path, I had to move. I was completely comfortable on my couch.  But if I wanted the sun on my face, I was going to have to move to a new spot and keep moving.

I wanted to be stay on the couch where I was settled and cozy, but the sunshine was beckoning, “Come play over here! Come work here; serve here! Come glow here!  Come rest here, now!”  The light was on the move.

So there on that cold winter morning, the sunshine taught me a lesson.  Nature—God's eternal design—taught me a spiritual truth (Romans 1:20).  Stay in the light, walk in the light, live in the light.  Not for just a moment, but continually. 

The sunshine was making 1 John 1:7 come alive to me in a new and fresh way, “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.” (NIV)  The  morning light was directing my thoughts to the Light of the world. (John 8:12)

Where is the Light beckoning you?  Have you felt the warmth on your face lately?  Have you sought out its intense beams?  Have the backs of your spiritual eyelids glowed in the fullness of His light?  Oh, I hope so. 

See you in the Son!

(This article was originally published in Share the Music, a newsletter for Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, distributed by Hal Leonard Corporation.  It is used here with permission.)

No comments:

Post a Comment