Sunday, February 24, 2013

Music Memories

What are your favorite musical memories?  There are probably too many to count, but think about it for a bit.  What thoughts, feelings, or pictures from your past come rushing forward when you begin to reflect on the impact of music in your life?  

I grew up in a church tradition that regularly married the old and the new in music.  Every pew was outfitted with The Church Hymnal—loving referred to as the “Red-back Hymnal” even though in later years it could be purchased in a new-fangled green.  In fact, when I was little I thought that was the name of the book.  In addition to this hymnal, every year we got new paperback songbooks for the choir to use.  The songbooks represented a collection of new songs recently written and were filled with verses about salvation, God’s goodness, heaven and Christ’s return.  Alto and tenor leads were prevalent as shaped notes danced across the lines and spaces.

Back then, our choir was an “anyone who wants to sing come on up” group.  There were no formal choir rehearsals and song leaders chose the next song sometimes on the fly.  Children and adults were welcomed to head up to the choir loft, grab a songbook and belt out whatever you could bring.   The song leader never quite knew what cacophony of parts he would hear from the loft until we got started, but it usually worked its way out as singers shifted parts to accommodate the harmony or melody as needed.    It was at the same time chaotic and beautiful.  

One of my oldest musical memories is of my standing on the front row of the choir, holding my songbook in my little hands and realizing that the lyrics went in an order.   It was like a miracle to me when I realized that the first line of each stanza was sung first, then the second line, then the third with the chorus coming between them.  It seems funny now, but it was as if I had discovered some secret of the universe—a great mystery had been opened up to me.  What may seem strange to many is that I was allowed to go up and sing in the choir before I could read!

While I appreciate the heritage and tradition that I grew up in, I’m not advocating that you start an “everybody come on up” choir.  My challenge to you is for you to continually offer the children in your choir and congregation opportunities to build these kinds of lifelong memories with music.  Create an environment that allows them to encounter music in a life-changing way.  Give them opportunities to serve.  Give them opportunities to lead.  Make space for them to worship, not just in front of you, up alongside you.   

Researchers say that “smells” are the strongest of the memory triggers.  I don’t have any scientific data, but my own experiences tell me that music has to be pretty high on the list as well.  I’m sure that no one in my little church would have guessed that there was a moment on Sunday night when music and the world of reading collided, but it did.  What will the children in your choir remember 10, 20, 30, or 40 years from now?  

No comments:

Post a Comment